The business was founded by John Farr and Ernest Harris and operated out of a shop in Mardol in Shrewsbury in 1956. Since then it has been jointly operated by Ernie’s sons Michael and Richard. In 2005, the present Shrewsbury premises on Old Potts Way in Shrewsbury was opened offering a major storage warehouse, trade counter and extensive showroom. There are now five other branches in Newtown, Telford, Leominster, Oswestry and Stafford with over 75 staff.
Operations and Sales Manager Tom Harris continues the family involvement in the business. He reports a busy period of growth for Farr and Harris: “We are heading for a record year of sales with growth occurring at all of our branches across the region. Much of this has been driven by the increase in house building and we have close relationships with major developers, and also with many of our retail customers renovating their existing kitchens and bathrooms.
“We deliver goods across the region to our customers and there was need to refresh our fleet of delivery trucks, hence the new DAF LF trucks from Greenhous Commercials. We have dealt with Greenhous for many years, especially sales executive Colin Moore, and it is a relationship built on trust and the delivery of excellent service and reliable vehicles.
“We like to work with local businesses and Greenhous match our ethos of providing a personal, quality service as well as providing a stylish, superior product. Satisfying the needs of the customer always comes first.”