Skip to main content Skip to footer

Step through Greenhous's history with us

Defining moments in the history of the Greenhous Group

The history of Greenhous Group extends back to 1912. Find out more about the great achievements from the company’s 100-plus years of history. Learn about the fascinating evolution of the various franchises and major milestones of one of the Sunday Times top 100 largest private companies in the UK.

1912

   
 

The group was founded in 1912 when the late Vincent Greenhous borrowed £50 from his father, Arthur Greenhous, who manufactured and sold agricultural equipment and building in the small town of Bishop's Castle, Shropshire. 

In the beginning it was a motor repair and sales business and he also ran a two bus service into Shrewsbury.

1915

   

In 1915 the company outgrows their third premises in Shrewsbury and moves to Dogpole by the Guildhall, where it remains for six years until once again a larger premises is required.

 

 

1920

   

 

The early 20's was the beginning of a connection with General motors, who had purchased the British firm of Vauxhall, which has strengthened and developed to the present day.

Greenhous becomes Bedford main dealers in the mid 20's establishing themselves in the world of commercial vehicles.

In 1921, the business moves to expanded premises in Greyfriars, where it was based for the next 73 years.

1935

   

High Speed Tyres, launches in 1935, another offshoot of the company. By the 1960s
there were branches in Hereford and Stroud. It closed in the late 1970s

Greenhous expands into parallel markets, opening a vehicle body builder depot just off Whitchurch Road in Shrewsbury in 1935 and a second depot in Wrexham in 1936.

 

 

1948

   
 

New premises are built on the outskirts of Hereford.

1957

   
Vincent Greenhous opens a depot in Welshpool.

 

 

1960

   
 

In 1960 Vincent Greenhous dies and his son Patrick takes over the business.

1963

   
An additional depot is opened in Whitchurch. 

 

1980

   
 

During the 80s sites are acquired in Stoke and Hanley, later sold by the company. Greenhous also took on the Leyland DAF Franchise at Midland Yard and Willenhall in the late 1980s, with new premises built on Battlefield Enterprise Park in the early 90s.

1994

   
After exponential growth a brand new purpose built dealership is erected on Old Potts Way, Shrewsbury. 

 

1996

   
 

The non franchised side of the business is establised, better known as GRS
(Greenhous Remarketing Services), and is operated from a 36-acre vehicle logistics centre in Cold Meece, Staffordshire. It's later sold to US based KAR Auction Services in 2016.

2004

   

Joint chief executives Derek Passant and Kerry Finnon lead a management buyout in December, only the third such deal since the company was founded in 1912.

 

2008

   

 

 

Greenhous Group first appears on the Sunday Times Top 100 Privately Owned Businesses after sales reached £703m in 2007.

2011

   

 

Greenhous opens its second Volkswagen commercial vehicle
dealership in Bilston.

 

2017

   
 

As a result in significant growth in the fleet operations of Greenhous, the company heavily invests in a bespoke 35 acre Fleet Operations Centre called the Greenhous Village, at High Ercall, near Telford in Shropshire.

Greenhous establishes a very strong relationship with Enterprise, storing their “delete” vehicles coming back off rental before they are sold on to dealers around the UK & sourcing new fleet stock for Enterprise from a range of leading manufacturers.

2019

   

 

Greenhous Group Limited announce the acquisition of Southampton-headquartered Adams Morey.

Founded in 1952, Adams Morey started selling trucks in 1973 when DAF first came into the UK market.

 

2020

   
 

Greenhous launch new online parts service, GFN Parts, a solely online sales platform for obsolete stock over 365 days old from its manufacturer dealerships.

2022

   

Greenhous announces the acquisition of Heaton's Truck Group, which will see four more DAF locations join its business.

With 19 locations throughout the South and South West, across the West Midlands and now the North West, Greenhous firmly establishes itself as of one of the largest DAF dealer groups in the UK.

To support the growing ambitions of the business, Greenhous implements a group-wide management structure, with Kevin Swinnerton, previously Adams Morey Managing Director, promoted to Greenhous Group Managing Director Truck Operations and Ashley Passant, previously Fleet Sales Director promoted to Greenhous Group Managing Director Car & Van Operations

Greenhous Shrewsbury moves to a new, modern dealership on Featherbed Lane, Shrewsbury.

 

2023

   
 


North West Trucks opens a brand-new site in Warrington as part of a £2 million investment just off the M6 and M62 motorways.

Greenhous purchase a new 14 -acre site in Livingston for vehicle refurbishment where 20,000 vehicles will be refurbished per year.

Greenhous Commercials opens a brand-new PDI Centre in Featherstone with £100k investment, where 1,500 new trucks will be PDI'd in its first year of operation.

Greenhous purchase Shrewsbury-based bodybuilder Bulkrite. Specialists in the design and manufacture of commercial vehicle bodies.

Adams Morey open two TRP All-Makes Parts Centres in Basingstoke and Isle of Wight.

Greenhous Vauxhall win prestigious Customer Excellence Award 2023.

2024

   

Greenhous becomes the lease holder of the former BCA site in Upper Heyford.

Greenhous Group prioritises employee well-being with new Sunday closure policy at it's retail sites. 

Greenhous re-acquires Cold Meece Cazoo site

Greenhous Group becomes one of first UK dealers to represent Chinese car brand OMODA

More exciting opportunities await...

 

Cookie Notice

Find out more about how we use cookies to enhance your browsing experience.